Monday, October 16, 2006

Saturday December 3rd 1932

The day in bits: Up 6.30 am. Shredded Wheat, bread & butter and hot cocoa (from a thermos flask). Away 7.15 am.

Walked fast to G.N. Station. Bought copy of 'POLICE REVIEW' reserved for me at the bookstall. Red sky in the East and one bright star.

Late afternoon, Langley and I behind with the butter so the tea interval was postponed. Langley swearing and slacking. Tea was allowed at 6.15 but I had eaten my sandwiches long before. Out
at 10 pm. Put a drunken man in his car for home. (1993 Comment, was this a wise thing to do?!)

Episode in Belgrave Gate, uproar involving a drunken young Irishman and an awful woman watched by an interesting small crowd of people. 'Bring on your fancy man I'll kill the bastid!' and the woman screeching and trying to claw him. hair all matted, like one of those women who used to sit around the guillotine in 'A tale of two cities'. Suddenly a single Policeman arrived, a middle aged man. At once by magic, all ended, the crowd dispersed, the woman slunk off and the young man greeted the Officer politely. All he'd said was 'Come along now! This won't do!' The Officer recognised me from the class and winked as much as to say, 'There you are ! Easy !' I was impressed with his power.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home