Thursday, October 05, 2006

Saturday November 5th 1932

Met Jordan. Told the Boots Manager I had found other work and then sent Jordan in. Went to Mr Cox. He was kind and interested as I expected. If I ever need help, I am to go to him. Saw Jordan later. He got the job. It had been the psychological moment!

(Whilst I had been out of work, Mrs Wood drastically reduced my rent. Much later I learned that Mr Wood had increased her housekeeping allowance by a similar amount. In youth, one never thinks of the sacrifice that other people are quietly making. The Wood household was on a tight budget. Only a few incidents in the life of an out‑of‑work are recorded and there were many more efforts to get a job of any kind. Looking back, I should have taken that Boots job; it might have led to something better, working for such an understanding person. Thorogoods turned out to be a ruthless sweat shop; it would not be allowed in these more enlightened times.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home