Thursday, September 18, 2008

Saturday 1st March 1941

Well, Stan and I carefully hid all our loot – but it turned out not to be necessary; the train wasn't searched tonight. (I later took my shell-case and bayonet to the Citadel at Cairo and left them in my universal kit bag in the Regimental Stores – so they are quite safe for the present.)

We dozed uncomfortably in the EFI coach for a couple of hours, woke up and found we were in the Nile Valley, and it was daylight. Reached Cairo at about 8:30 a.m. and all went by lorry to Abassia Barracks.

... Eventually we had breakfast and put our kit in a barrack room. Went to Base Depot, some miles off and spent several hours being issued with boots, socks, shirts etc. It was still raining and there were queues. Stan and I wisely made ourselves comfortable in the NAAFI for a couple of hours, until the queues were nearly gone.

Back to Abassia. Wash, shave, clean-up, pay parade (£10) and we were free! (5p.m.)
Stan and myself took a taxi to the Gardens and visited Thomson's, the photographer's, first of all.

(Continued in White Dew)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home