Sunday, October 01, 2006

Saturday August 6th 1932

At the end of a happy week's holiday with the family, incl. Wilf, in Lincoln. Good news - Dad has been appointed Sales Supervisor for Lincolnshire and Leicestershire. Salary, commission and expenses. All in the garden is lovely.

Dad turned out with a local cricket team as they were one man short. He is a good bat but only scored one! Run out and not his fault. At the lunch interval, it was raining a bit. Dad and I sat in the pavilion. No one spoke to him and I resented this. Then a man came up and said in a friendly manner 'Are you going into the town for a drink?' Dad thought he was being invited and said, 'No, I hadn't any plans ...' 'Good' said the man, 'In that case, could I borrow your mac ?' Of course, Dad agreed and we sat together watching the rain. Nothing was said. I wish, now, I could have shown my solidarity with my father.... How I hated that man, and all the other unfriendly members of that cricket team who could not show friendship towards a visiting stranger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home