Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sunday April 10th 1932

Mr Wood was a believer in physical exercise and hardness, and he was convinced that his regime was good for Barry and me. As he was not our father, we did not feel badgered and generally managed to oblige him in his desire for hardening exercises, 15 to 20 mile ‑walks at a brisk pace and single stick matches. For instance:

Weight 10 stone 91bs. Did 30 full knee bends. Barry did 34. Single stick duel in the yard with Mr. Wood. A chance swipe smashed his glasses, to my horror. Mr. Wood remained in control. He gathered up the fragments and said, 'Hem! Does that count as a hit ?'

One occasion, I became ill at the office, in the late winter of this year. It was the start of a bad cold. When I returned home and told Mr. Wood I felt groggy, he had an immediate remedy. 'Stephen, put on your heavy overcoat, scarf and gloves! Set out immediately for a brisk walk around Thurmaston and Rothley - he gave the exact route. 'That is twelve miles. I want you back here within three hours. Tomorrow you will be as fit as a fiddle'. I accepted the challenge and set off. When I got back, soaked in sweat from my foggy walk, he was ready with a glass of hot whisky and lemon and a hot bath. 'Now go straight to bed. You will be alright in the morning'. Unfortunately this was not correct! I was in bed for a week with a feverish influenza and Mrs Wood had the job of nursing me. Mr Wood gave the impression that he was a little disappointed with my failure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home