Monday, April 30, 2007

Thursday 2nd January 1936

The water has flooded the drum room and grinding shop. Had to use a punt today, no use trying to walk through. As far as I can see, the Medes is covered altogether. The flood water around the works stretches to within fifty yards of the main flood now. The punt drifts a long with the hedges on either side; it had to make a much longer journey today than yesterday.

Cycled to Chertsey with Mad Willy at night, then returned along the riverside to Halesham. Flooded most of the way. I guess I was the only traveller on that road tonight! Water rose to the hubs – I had to dismount and carry the machine several times – and the current was very strong. Felt quite lonely. Just water, hedges, moonlight and me.

So I lit my pipe. That made a fifth and most comforting part of the universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home