Friday, April 13, 2007

Tuesday 3rd September 1935

At 6.30 I turned on the wireless, expecting some dance music. But the programme had been cancelled and instead I heard prayers for Divine guidance, from Westminster Abbey. I was surprised. Of course tomorrow may be the crucial day, when the Council of the League of Nations meets to discuss the Italy – Abyssinian dispute.

Personally, I’ve read several papers with different views. I think there will be a war: Britain will not be involved, beyond perhaps sending out a few regulars on guard duty. I think the League of Nations will crumble into nothingness – tomorrow.
See if my expectations are realised!

(The band is playing “Street in old Seville”, the tune I heard that day in Hounslow. First time I’ve heard it since.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home