Thursday, January 24, 2008

Wednesday 6th October 1937

An autumnal morning; grey skies and a high wind. For the first time, I noticed a tinge of yellow in the Eastwoodbury leafage. A miserable day for a traveller – on a bicycle! The car made a difference. I strolled across fields to the garage soon after 10 O’clock. By 11 o’clock I was in South Benfleet and had already taken one order!

Mr Gilbert – one of my earliest customers – is inclined to welch. I’m disappointed. He owes us £16. I discussed matters with the builder for whom he was formerly paint sub-contractor – and took an order. New account. “This is quite a satisfactory account” reported the timber merchants with whom Mr Stevenson has dealt.

Benfleet, Hadleigh and Laindon. Three orders, value about £10. A good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home