Saturday, February 02, 2008

Monday 22nd November 1937

After a long sleep – 11:45p.m. to 8:30 a.m. – I started the day with no set programme. As the winter deepens, my prospects become fewer. (I can’t make the long journey into Area “B” every day.)

This was a cold and miserable day; at this time of the year they always are – climatically. However I prowled around, made eleven calls and took one order. Was able to unearth a few new prospects in Great Wakering of all places. And at lunchtime I took 45 minutes off, parked the car and went to Garron’s. I found a warm corner near a radiator and was served by the same waitress who used to listen to Packy and I, arguing about baked beans and welsh rarebit.

Went to the Ritz cinema in the evening. The organ interlude – old songs bought memories. “Wedding of the Painted Doll” – The Leicester dirt tracks in 1929; “Painting the Clouds with Sunshine” – That very weary ride from Peterborough week-end camp in 1930 – and the camp at Laughton. “Lovely Lady” – Madge, Kapai, a punt drifting on the Colne. “One Night of Love” – It could evoke many memories but quaintly, as the organ played I first remembered St. Anne’s Hill and mud on a February evening, 1935. And Peggy. It all came back – the feeling it could not last, that it must soon be ended and, tragically how it could all never come true!

Next morning in the colour shop, I asked Vic Howard what the tune was that he whistled? “My Old Home”, he replied, after rumination. “No, that’s not the one I’m thinking of.” A little tune, half-known had been haunting me the evening before. For no reason! … “One Night of Love”

Ah! In those days I did not leave a car in the park when I went to the Pictures! And I wasn’t alone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home