Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thursday 16th April 1942

We are busy on training now. Yesterday ā€œCā€ Troop had it's first drill order; all went well from the signals point of view.

Ah, the news is consistently bad. I won't dwell on it, but really, I think things have never been worse. I could easily give way to black depression now but all I'll say is that I'm just sick of it. Not merely sick of going into danger again ā€“ everyone is sick of that; I'm also tired to death of the Army altogether and it's cooloo of petty annoyances. And above all, how desperately I long to get home, to an England at peace, with everything as it was.

And to April.

These are my dreams and despairs; now I'll clean my boots and cap badges and the two buttons on the front of my cap! Then I'll go to sleep, wrapped in my blankets, in the dust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home