Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Saturday October lst 1932

The last B.U. morning. Kept cheerful. Many sympathisers, incl. surprisingly, the grey Mr. Turvey from a distant grey office. He was the elderly man who used to collect our rent at no. 9. Everyone thinks it unfair that I should go. A little scapegoat in greater events. Many suggestions and good lucks and goodbyes. Thus, I shook off the dust of British United Shoe Co Ltd. for ever.

Caught the 1.44 train for Braunston & Willoughby; walked along the familiar line to Wolfhampcote, seeing Aunt's house in the distance. Great Uncle Robert and Mrs Peddar staying with Aunt. Wandered around. Visited the old home with Aunt. Empty again. Could not get in. Desolate; gradually decaying; grass growing everywhere. It is still beautiful though. Wolfhampcote. In England.

(I never thought any more about B.U. where I had been clerk no. 1123 for so many years. Who was the embezzler? Did he get a prison term ? I never enquired. B.U. was in my past. As for Exton, who had been swimming and camping with me ‑ he let me down. However, looking back further, I once let down a boy at School, also a friend, and remained timidly silent when I might have saved him from punishment. So perhaps Cliff Exton has evened the score for me in the judgement book.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home