Monday, October 16, 2006

Wednesday December 14th 1932

Worked on sides of bacon all the morning with Ball. Operation known as boning. Hard on the fingers, in winter, but a change from butter beating.

Quite a violent atmosphere in the basement since Woollerton came. He is a bully and uses his strength. Most of us are afraid of his fists and boots. The new manager is strict but somehow more likeable than Mr May.

Left work 8.15 pm and dashed to St. Albans ‑ to say good bye. The Parade Circle formed. I walked in and said good-bye. Felt too miserable to say much. Shook hands with each Cub, then I walked out of the Circle and Jack walked in. As I hurried from the room, I heard them saluting their new Akela.

Dashed to Stoneygate by tramcar. Cubmasters meeting at Stoughton Road at 9.10pm. Got there 20 minutes before the end of the meeting. Good to see old friends one last time. Walked home alone from Stoneygate. Silence and starlight. Felt tempted to stride away into the lonely night country. On the way home I met Jack and we walked on together. I am still a Scout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home