Thursday, September 04, 2008

Thursday 31st October 1940

The wearing of pith helmets has now been discontinued (“fore and aft hats will be worn by all Ors” say Orders) but it is still very hot, most days. Cold at nights though and I'm glad to snuggle into my blankets in the shelter. It's quite impossible during the day, being full of ants, rather nauseatingly, but they all seem to disappear at nights.

Last night at 8 o'clock, I lay in the shelter with a D3 earpiece beside me and listened to the news from London! This is received on a wireless set by PADS and somehow relayed into the telephone system. Vic plugs it through to BALE, Battery Office, and to this extension phone. Of all the funny ways of listening to the news!

Sent off my Christmas cards tonight!

First daylight air raid today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home