Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Monday 8th March 1937

Office. Talking to Miss Ewings and carefully reading the Southend files. At 4 o’clock, a summons to the waiting room. Messrs. Reddall, Markham, and Packman in conference. (Whitehead suddenly appeared to ask if he was wanted. “No, old boy”, said Packman, looking him in the eye.) Packman and I go to Southend tomorrow, to survey the ground and find digs. The adventure begins again!

Was with Mr Reddall from 6 until 8 o’clock listening to final instructions. Then we went out for a coffee and finally parted at 8:45. Told him I was damn hard up and he’s going to arrange for me to be paid each week, until I can afford the monthly pay roll.

Have done my packing and now everything is ready. Having called in all my cash assets I am in a quite satisfactory position. Have got £2-3-0. This is interesting as I now commence a new chapter in the book of my life. I commence it with forty three shillings in my pockets and about 10/- in the bank!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home