Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Wednesday 20th July 1938

Lois was with me “on the road” – a blazing hot day. After two orders at Chelmsford I fiddled about all the afternoon, calling on UDC’s etc. Hate following up DML letters. They do not “smooth the way” and I’d prefer to map out my own policy. Nice day though – cos Lois was with me. Really she’s helpful, and would make an excellent secretary! One particularly delicious moment:-

We reached Oakdene at 10 o’clock. I’d decided to leave Milady there and go onto Southend for a last call. I knew she wanted to come but felt obstinate because her old-fashioned parents like her to in by 11 o’clock. (“Damn 'em” I thought, “She can be in by 10 o’clock, for all I care and while it suits me.”) Lois seemed a bit sad and we wandered across the lawn in the summer twilight. “Oh, how can I make you happy again?” I said. “I know,” she said, head bent. “How?” I asked eagerly. Suddenly alive, she turned in my arms, all a-sparkle, “Take me to Southend, with you!” “All right!” I laughed, and then sneered, “Jolly good! So that is how you’ll make me do what you want. Very clever!” “Oh, now I feel horrible” she whispered, head down, face hidden. “Go! Go!” she said fiercely. “Not without you, My Lady!”

So she did come, and sat in the car in Southchurch Avenue whilst I clinched today’s third order. Afterwards she put my reports in the envelope, took my wallet from my pocket, got a stamp, stuck it on; and jumped out at the GPO to post the envelope.
“Next time” she said, “Say what you really feel, and kiss me when you want to, not when you think I expect it.” We were in the garden path at Oakdene. Just eleven o’clock! I kissed her and said what I felt. “Without any frills or impressive words – I just love you.”

“I love you – too.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home