Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Monday 13th February 1939

26 today! (twenty six).

Left Hawthorn Court at about 9:30 a.m. A happy weekend! North Circular. Epping. Essex. To a contract order for 3 cwt. U/Coat Paste White, at Canvey Island. Several fruitless calls; one other that was rather promising.

Reached Oakdene in the afternoon. Lois drew me into the kitchen. (She looked unusually attractive for some reason. I thought at first that her hair might be done a different way, but it wasn’t) She took the pipe out of my mouth and kissed me. I was later to feel guilty, because she had been apparently expecting me to call at 11 a.m. or so and take her with me on the road. I remembered a vague suggestion then, but did not realise anything definite had been arranged.

I took her with me to Westcliff for fruitless calls (attempts to obtain settlement of debts when there was no money) and had tea at Oakdene and played chess. Later we ostensibly “went to call on Ted Tutton”, but actually drove to Nobles Green…

I reached Chelmsford fairly late with a hell of a lot of things still to be done – unpacking, office work, preparations for the next day and what-not. Among business letters was a communication from the firm instructing me to meet Fred Beach at Chelmsford GPO (my OW contract, previously mentioned) at “9:30 or 10 a.m. on Monday, the 13th inst.” I wrote a cunning note, regretting that as I had not received my mail until the evening I had been unable to meet Mr Beach. (It implied that I’d left the digs damn early, before the post arrived.)

What a blighter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home