Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tuesday 11 July 1939

Sunshine, Burnham on Crouch and green lanes. 12 calls, 5 cheques, 3 orders, £7. The brown faced knife grinder who’d fought with the International Brigade at Madrid – a sharp pocket knife and a Spanish story for 6d. And – “You’re going to be lucky, you’ll see!” (Like the old gypsy on Chobham Common many years ago – 1933? “You’ll be lucky my gentleman.”)

Lois seemed to have a good chance of a job – and in Essex! She rang up today saying she’d had a favourable interview with the proprietoress of the White Hart, a country hotel in north Essex. General help and look after the children. She’d quoted me as a reference, and also stated that she was not engaged. (This would have spoilt her chances.)

In due course Mrs Nankivell telephoned and asked me if I knew Miss Lois Rogers?
After being surprised (I was playing the part of a very respectable, middle-aged friend of the family), I said oh yes, I’d know Miss Rogers about twenty years. (This in a very deep, dignified voice). Upon learning the circumstances I eventually assured Mrs Nankivell that I could thoroughly recommend Miss Rogers and so forth.
Damn funny!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home