Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sunday 2nd February 1941

We came back here, to a vast “rest camp” yesterday. We are now bivouacked near the Tobruk-Derna road, over 70 kilos from the latter place. The usual vile day, which now occurs about twice in each week, came today. A high wind, and of course, dust.

I covered my head with a rug for a couple of hours and dreamed of those very early days of town and business life. Minotaur Works; St. Saviour's Road East! Mr Smith! “John”! I dreamed peacefully, 14 years back. Quite a surprise when someone called me and I threw aside the rug, leaving my youthful innocent, ignorant reverie of Leicester to return to the grim, dust reality of a stony desert. “Leicester!” I thought as the dreams fled away, “I could soon get to know it and love it again... And... how different my life might have been if I'd been more of a success at that first job and had stuck to it!”

However! War everywhere and all that one loves, everyone who is dearest, in danger! No time for such weakening, softening thought!

“Ah, my beloved, fill the cup that clears
Today of past Regrets and future fears -”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home