Sunday, March 02, 2008

Monday 21st March 1938

The first day of spring and it was spring-like! It took me an hour this morning to plan the week’s work. Only one “local” day – tomorrow.

Today I did the “short country round” as I call it. Rayleigh, Wickford, Billericay, Canvey Island and Hadleigh. Three orders.

I had also planned the evening. A quiet night at Roedean and an early bed. But – I made the last call at five to six. So I dashed to Leigh and brought Pat home from the office. “You’ll see me tonight? You will – won’t you?” So my plans were abandoned. I hurried through my work, met her at 9 o’clock. (She wore a red ribbon in her hair.) We strolled in the fields from Eastwoodbury to Rochford, arms around each other. Back in Southend at 10:30 still determined on an early night. But she wished to talk and so we sat in the car the deuce of a while.

Pat said it was marvellous, that I’d awakened something in her and that she now thought a girl should have several love affairs not just one. This was quite true and my own opinion but somehow it did not intrigue me greatly. Later on she told me that the most good-looking man she’d ever seen was the Cub master at her Church Scout Group. “He spoke to me once, about two years ago, at a Church Bazaar. Of course, I don’t know him, but I often wonder what he is really like”.

So my lovemaking had aroused her so that she now regarded some beastly Cub master in a different way! “I’m not very amused” I said rudely, opening the door. “Oh, I forgot, the subject is distasteful isn’t it?” she asked triumphantly. She got out. “See you tomorrow night!” “Oh yes” I said.

So that’s what became of my plans for a quiet evening. And the time is now 1 a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home