Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wednesday 26th April 1939

Twelve calls in Chelmsford and Southend. Only one order but that was a good one – Chelmsford GPO.

Evening, took Lois to a show in Chelmsford. “Belle of New York” by the Chelmsford Operatic Society. (Bradbury was “in front” and Wiley in the chorus.) We were in the first row of orchestra stalls – right against the stage. Both had our best clothes on!

Event of the day in news!

CONSCRIPTION IN ENGLAND!

All men of the age class 20-21 will be called up for six months Regular and 3½ years Territorial service. How glad I feel – although I want to see more classes affected yet! I’d like to have put on my Army jacket over a pullover and grey bags; with an Army cap at the back of my head I’d lead a procession around the West End, cheering for conscription. With John – if he’d been here…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home