Monday, August 18, 2008

Thursday 11th April 1940

We still rise at 0530 but as from today there is a three hour siesta from 12:30p.m. to 3:30p.m. - this being considered the hottest part of the day. Then we work until about 5:30p.m. having tea at 5:45p.m. I dragged the kit off my bed and had a kip during today’s siesta.

Rumours! The rumours re our own future have died away (of course, we are staying right here!) and there is now constant talk of the war front. Sid Pond invented a “straight-up” rumour about the Russians pouring into Norway to aid the Germans. The rumour elaborated, gained ground and we later heard that English and Russian troops were face to face in Norway.

“Heard the latest, boy?” I said.
“What?”
“Sledges and skis are now in the stores; sea kit bags will be packed by 0800 hours and….” I paused for breath…
“… Straight on the boat. No waiting” responded my audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home