Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Wednesday 1st January 1941


I was on duty from 1a.m. to 4a.m. Ted Gayler awoke me then (It had been much warmer in the hole with covering over our heads and shoulders). Ted told me that Iti had sent over one single shell whilst he was on duty – and that came over exactly at midnight when 1940 became 1941.

Afternoon: I've just drawn rations for 48 hours for Grant and myself. We've some mysterious and slightly adventurous job to do. Veiled in the darkness as it is, I gather that it includes lying “doggo” somewhere all day tomorrow. “Bdr. Dawson and one signaller...” was the detail. Nicholls wanted the job but he was needed for some other work, so Basil Grant (tall, ungainly, pale, hawkish!) offered to come. I know little else about what we have to do. Heigh ho!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home