Sunday, March 09, 2008

Tuesday 26th April 1938

And Amanda Retallack and I sat talking by the fireside until only cold grey ashes remained in the grate. Until half-past five we discussed love and life and what-not. (This would make an interesting if frank story!) We drew the curtains. It was quite light in the street. I tiptoed away feeling an utter criminal, got back to the car, drove to Eastwoodbury. When I got out of the car I heard the morning chorus of birds in the trees along the lane.

Biscuits and cheese and hot milk. Bed 5:45. Slept until 9 o’clock; I’d cunningly left notes downstairs, requesting that I be called late. Leisurely breakfast, packed my kit and left for Colchester at 11:30 a.m. An afternoon with the traveller for Wrights Ltd. Received a nice stock order, worth about £9.

After tea at no. 168 I changed into grey bags, grey scout shirt, tweed jacket. I’ve been busy until now, writing my business reports, Air Raid Precautions reports and this.

Time 9:10p.m. I’ll have a jolly good wash. Then supper, then bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home