Sunday, March 09, 2008

Wednesday 6th April 1938

With my kit packed and aboard, I was on the road by 9:30. Recently it has been windy and cold but today the spring returned, thank God! I noticed the greenery in the countryside again. The hedges and many trees.

Two orders and one cheque on the way to Colchester. Stopped at The Oasis for a very long lunchtime. Pat’s note was in a stamped addressed envelope but had not been posted. I destroyed it and wrote another letter, rather longer, less abrupt, but meaning rather much the same as before: that if I did nor hear from Pat by Friday, I should know she did not want to see me again.

Then I talked to Miss Day and her mother; explained I was lovesick (whimsical spirit returning!) and heard all their worries. Far more than mine. What a frightfully informative book this journal would become if I recorded all that people told me!
Feeling better for the interval, I took the road again, posting the letter in a small village (near Kelvedon) with a peculiar name.

This evening, at Colchester, I went to the Pictures; sat alone among the balcony crowds, smoking cigarettes and my foul pipe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home