Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Friday 17th September 1943

32 furlongs today.

I might do more, but tramping around the compound is rather monotonous and irritating to others, if one does too much of it.

The flies are pretty numerous and furious; much worse than they were last month. It's difficult to sit still without being constantly troubled, between 9a.m. and 7p.m.

I have seen and spoken with Bill Lias – through the wire. Yes, he also missed the boat, though 8 went from his ward.

I offered to work in the ward kitchen as there was a vacancy; nothing doing however. I must continue to lounge about in boredom. The refusal may be a good or bad sign. Maybe they think I'm going away soon myself; or else they consider me too dangerous or too unintelligent to work.

How I long for that boat trip! Yet, when I was at Sarafend it was of little concern whether I went or not. And when I did leave it was with some regret! But this is a different sort of place. He would be truly mad who did not want to escape from here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home