Saturday, April 12, 2008

Friday 21st October 1938

Full of rage at the disintegration of the Signals, I called at the offices of “The Southend Times” and “The Southend Standard” this afternoon. In each case an interested reporter took particulars of our woes. The “Standard” reporter said they’d visit the drill hall again in search of further news and that my information would be very helpful. The “Times” man took shorthand notes of everything that I said and stated enthusiastically that they’d “give this publicity!” Of course I pointed out to both that I was not in a position to give official information but that what I said might be useful as a guide to their investigations. If the Army doesn’t manage to divert them, they should obtain a good “story”.

Men being discharged at this time, when there is even talk of Territorial conscription!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home