Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday 18th December 1938

Christmas party at Oakdene. Drove across in Slinky. Broke B and AV’s Baddow-Battlesbridge record by three minutes. Yes! I did it in nine minutes (thus equalling Lois’ record in the Vauxhall). Bitter, bitter weather. Far below freezing point. Quite a happy party at Oakdene, all feuds laid aside. Mr and Mrs Rogers gave me a writing bureau as a present. They presented it in a very graceful way and obviously enjoyed doing it. However I will say little about this day as I never, in ordinary circumstances, mention family matters in this, my journal.

At about 11 o’clock, Slinky B was rushing homewards and thin, bitter snowflakes were driving on the wind. At Baddow something went wrong with Slinky and he limped home sadly at 20mph, engine straining.

Slept uneasily!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home